For centuries the story of the prodigal son has been called “the gospel in the Gospel.” If across the centuries this is the way the church has seen this parable, how is it that the atonement appears to be missing in the story? If the cross is essential for forgiveness, why does it seem to be absent in this parable?

If this kind of question intrigues you…stay tuned! I’m going to be updating my front page with a series of reflections from Kenneth Bailey’s The Cross and the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants.


Monday, November 10, 2008

My personal mission statement

In my life with God among the poor, in community with my brothers and sisters, and in my family I walk in God’s grace, listening deeply and obeying fearlessly, as a man of:

PRAYER...who walks w/ the Holy Spirit in the joy and truth of my Heavenly Father; grateful for his goodness, embrace, freedom and fullness.

VISION...who wages peaceful war against all that is contrary to God and the establishment of his kingdom, and waits in the hope of God’s promised new creation.

PEOPLE...who loves and empowers others as Christ did through humble service and in the power of the Holy Spirit

My life work…is to EQUIP teams and missional churches with (1) theo vision (2) spiritual empowerment, and (3) movement inspiration. To ADVOCATE (1) Jesus Pledge web campaign (2) Peace with justice in the Middle East. As a slum worker I seek to catalyze house churches that follow Jesus and the way of the cross.

Jss21feb2009

No comments: